Parenting and Child Care Guides

Guides for parents to help your child grow in a good environment



During Pregnancy
  Parenting
  Take Care Of Yourself
  Important Nutrients
  Food To Avoid
  Sport exercise and sex
  Medicines To Avoid
  Diabetes During Pregnancy - A Curse For The Unborn And The Mother
  Other Things To Do

Baby Time
  What are you Feeding your Child's Emotional Appetite?
  Ideas And Suggestions On Baby Gifts
  Baby's First Valentine's Day
  How To Feed Your Infant



About Nursery
  The Real Dangers Of The Nursery
  Selecting The Right Air Cleaner For Your Baby's Nursery

Parenting
  Developing your Child's Appreciation of the Natural World
  The Importance of Finding the Good in Your Child
  When your Baby Sleeps-baby Care
  How to Deal With Fears in Children?
  Keeping Your Kids Active
  Should you Limit Your Kids Time Playing Video Games?
  10 Guidelines For Parents Of Kids Playing Video Games
  Children are the Products of Either Good or Bad Parenting
  Parenting is a Big Responsibility
  How to Say No When Your Kid Wants a Toy
  Avoiding Your Child to be Addicted to TV
  The Blame Game
  7 Strategies To Protect Your Kids From Media Anxiety
  5 Things You Must Do To Protect Your Kids From School Violence
Are you a little behind? Make your fitness goals!
Google
 
Monday, March 17, 2008
Cold Medicines are Killing our Teenagers?
Today I discovered a killer of our teenagers and would like to share it with you. It should not be a surprise to learn that there is a thriving subculture on the Internet that gives out advice and information on just about anything you can think of. However, this day I would like to discuss something called robotripping. It means taking over the counter cough and cold medicines to get high.

I am told that one in ten messages passed on the internet between teenagers are about drugs. These sites tell our teens, what to take, where to get it, how to take it, how much to take and what other things to take with it to make it better.

Let me tell you how this all started. I had a cold with a bad cough. I bought some cold medicine, three different kinds and put them on the counter in my bathroom. My teen son had his own bathroom and to be honest I didn’t think a thing about leaving the medicine out.

Anyway, I took the medicine and it made me feel icky so I quit taking it and tried new stuff. To make a long and miserable cold story short, I got better. That weekend I was cleaning up and saw the bottles. But I noticed the cough syrup was almost gone and so I opened the other bottles and sure enough all the pills were about gone.

Now I knew that taking cough syrup to get high had been around for years, but surely my son would not do that!? I went to the computer and started to look it up. It scared me. I found that kids were taking it in such large quantities that at the least they were damaging their livers and at the most they were dying. Yes DYING.

I was aghast and angry. My sons and I talk of everything. Surely this could not have been going on right under my nose and without me knowing? So I waited. You know the “Mom’s wait” vacillating between anger and fear. While I waited I read up on it and learned.

Then I read this:
*A dissociative drug which reduces (or blocks) signals to the conscious mind from other parts of the brain, typically to the physical senses. Such a state of sensory deprivation and dissociation can facilitate hallucinations, and dreamlike states of mind which may resemble some psychedelic mind states.

My son was escaping and hallucinating and I missed it? How can that be? I learned that there are over 250 products with DXM in it and the drug companies that make it don’t want it regulated even if it will keep our teens safe. I learned that is a real addiction just like any other drug but that it was worse in a way because it was legal and easy to get.

As I read the list of symptoms: restlessness, confusion, dizziness, double or blurred vision, slurred speech, impaired physical coordination, abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting, rapid heart beat, drowsiness, numbness of fingers and toes, and disorientation. DXM abusers describe different "plateaus" ranging from mild distortions of color and sound to visual hallucinations and "out-of-body," feelings of detachment from the environment and self, sensations, and loss of motor control. I became panicky and ready to fight this with him all the way to health!

He came home; I tried hard not to attack. I had done the self Mom talk and I was ready. Calmly I asked, “Are you robot tripping?” He laughed and said, “If you mean am I robotripping, no I am not, I am not that stupid, why? You been on the internet again Mom” So we talked about the missing medicine and found out it was one of his friends (who is now in treatment).

All I can say is that day I found a killer of our teenagers. It is important to communicate and keep aware of your home and what is going on in your world. Even the smallest of things can be an important clue to a problem.

Article Source
posted by Khate @ 3:34 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Qualityhealth.com
  Get the Free stuff
  Free coupons for brand name products
  Get FREE healthy samples of products
  For the best free samples
  FREE HEALTHY SAMPLES of products
  FREE HEALTHY offers

ChefsDiet.com
  Chefs Diet Delivery-program
  Chefs Diet Advantage
  Chefs Diet Prepared Meals & Snacks
  Vegetarian Chefs Diet Meal Delivery
 Free Samples and Coupons for Brand Name Products
Chefs Diet At Home
Previous Post
Archives
NFL Accessories
Blog Roll
  - Zoom Gadget
  - New Business Ideas
  - Insurance Guides
  - Inside Stock and Personal Finance
-  Free Loan Search
  - Parenting and Child Care Guides
  - Inside Cancer
  - FREE Ways To Make Money Online
  - Make Money Online
Template by

Free Blogger Templates